Saturday, September 14, 2019

Live By Example: Honoring My Father and Mother

This post is nearly a month past due.  Life gets in the way, folks. I am still learning how to prioritize my time. I'll get there.

Sunday, August 25, 2019 ended up being a rainy day, but that did not deter the crowd that gathered in the fellowship hall of my parents church. Months and months of planning and worrying if it would all go off without a hitch were now over and I watched in awe as family and friends from my small hometown wandered in to shower love upon the honored couple.  Hugs and laughter all around, small pockets of people sat the the tables scattered around the room visiting for the full hour and a half that we had reserved to celebrate Mom and Dad just 3 days after their 50th wedding anniversary. So much love in that room. Lifetimes of friendship and memories. Pure joy on faces as people caught up since the last time they saw each other...For some it had been years; for some it had been since church got out at 11:00 a.m. but the sentiment was the same.

My parents aren't perfect. In all honesty, I say this only because I understand that no one is; as I tend to be one of those people who focuses on the best in those I love, not the worst. My parents have lived the last 50 years blessing others. I've only been around to witness 46 of those years, but I take it on faith that they were doing it the 4 years before I arrived.  Each of them built their life's work around helping people. Dad is a retired educator and Mom was a school secretary, except for the period of time when she babysat in our home.  They teach Sunday school, pick up anyone who needs a ride to church, they rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn. You get sick, have surgery or a death in the family, my mom will have a big pot of spaghetti to you lickety split! You need help with repairs around your house, my Dad will be there. Many times growing up I watched as they paid for someone's groceries or gave to a fund to help someone who had fallen on hard times. Sacrifice...that's the word I am looking for. They sacrificed (and continue to do so) their time and money and for others. Why? I know the answer even though I don't think I have ever asked them...that is what God would have them to do.  Use what God has blessed you with to bless others (talent, money, time - all of it).

 And here is what I have noticed, that blessing comes back around. My parents have not had a trouble free life. None of us are promised that. But they have continued to be blessed. When they helped others, our family never went without what we needed. They gave (and continue to give) of their time but are now enjoying their retirement years having weekly coffee and breakfast at McDonald's, traveling when they choose and watching whatever they want on t.v. when they decide to sit at home. And when they celebrated 50 years, people showed up and rejoiced with them.  Precious friends helped us plan the celebration. They poured over a photo album reminiscing over the good times they'd shared. They told my brother and I how much they love our parents and how much they mean to them. 

"Be the hands and feet of Jesus" is not a phrase I heard in my childhood like I do today, but I realize now it was an example that was set for me every single day. I pray that my husband and I are following in their footsteps, even if it is just a little bit.  Thanks, Mom and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment