Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Journals

So, I have to admit I can be a bit scattered at times. I have greams and goals that I really want to accomplish, but life just gets in the way sometimes. Do you ever feel that way?

One of my goals in life is to write a book. I can't focus in on what kind yet, but I decided to start my writing by keeping this blog to go along with my book project this year. If you take a look at the dates on my posts, you can see I am anything but consistent with posting! I am doing my best, though...reading, living life with my loves, and I AM writing...in journals!

I have always loved a good journal, writing in them and reading them. I like the idea of a journal more than a diary, because of their function. Journals seem to be a place to chronicle one's life. Back in undergrad I can remember doing a paper on women during the Civil War (I think). I checked out books thst contained letters written notes of daily life kept by various women. How interesting to see what life was really like back then!

When my children were born, I decided to keep a journal for each of them.  I wrote most nights, telling them about the day, sharing memories, making lists of what they receivef for Christmas or birthdays, sharing lessons that I wanted them to learn about the hard times we went through. I plan to give them these journals when they are grown (which I guess is soon for my daughter!).

These days, I keep journals filled with notes on the Books I am reading. Bible studies and sermon notes. Today I started a practice where I am writing for 5 minutes first thing in the morning using "stream of consciousness" writing. I don't exactly know whefe I am headed with it, but I am sure it will be enlightening at some point!

Grab yourself a journal (or if you are so inclined, start a Google doc)today! You don't have to write in it every single day, but you can. Write your goals, your prayers, a reflection of your day or something cute that you kids did. Record a memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment