Saturday, January 26, 2019

Word(s) for 2019

Shortly after Christmas each year, I get excited to log on to social media and see what words my friends and family are choosing for "their word" for the upcoming year. People share the share and why they chose it. Most of the time it has something to do with a goal or resolution, something to help them be better in the new year. As I read the words others have chosen I normally am trying to decide on what word I will share as "my word of the year."

Choosing my word is not always an easy task.  Is it okay to choose the same word as someone else? Will people think my word is a good word? Will it be a word that I can really embrace or will I forget about it before January ends? SO many things to consider and choosing a word for 2019 was no different.  So, I did something I always do, I prayed for guidance in choosing my word and the funniest thing happened...one word became two and two became three. Before I knew it, I had 9 words on my heart and that is when I decided that 2019 would be the year of 12 words; one for each month.

The first word that came to me was "Helper". I had studied it in a devotional in December as my role in my marriage. I also identify with it in my role as a counselor. They came "Hygge". Not a biblical word (they don't have to be, do they?), but one that I love. The feeling of coziness and being surrounded by things and people I love. Then I thought off  "Healthy" because I was not feeling very good between Christmas and New Year's and longed to be healthy again. Notice a pattern? I did, they all started with the letter "H"! No, it isn't my favorite letter. It was pure coincidence, but I was intrigued. What other "H-words" could I embrace for 2019? After a little soul searching and help from Google, I had 12 words that I believed could help me become the best version of myself. One for each month or all 12 all year, no matter the time. Written with a Sharpie on a random canvas found in a messy cabinet. It's not perfect and that's fine. It's my reminder to live these words every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment