Sunday, January 27, 2019

A Word on Words

Words...they are so important. They can harm, they can help, they build you up or tear down. It's been said that words are like the toothpaste in the tube; once they are out they can't be put back. We've all felt the power of words. Many years ago, I noticed a scripture that has become one of my favorites and one I strive to live by.  Ephesians 4:29 says, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Now, do I live this verse faithfully everyday? No way. I fall short so many times. I get my feelings hurt or get angry and say things that definitely are not good for building up...and then I feel guilty! The further I journey in life the more I learn to choose my words wisely. My words don't have to be many. It's okay, preferable even,  to listen more than I speak (I really struggle with this one sometimes).  I want my words to mean something. To benefit those who hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment